www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

Instructions very incorrect thus scary for customers...

Everything RAIDDrive USB 3.0 Related

Instructions very incorrect thus scary for customers...

Postby adanecito » Mon May 16, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi All,

I was very excited about my new USB 3.0 RAIDDrive now I am scared of it. Seems it worked out of the box but after I installed the driver and started going through the instructions to finish the install I ran into a major bug in the instructions that frankly are scary. Seems the instructions were written for XP and not windows 7 so when I got to the point where I had selected the usb controllers from the device manager list and there was no MASS Storage Device!! So here I am wondering what to do next and if I will have issues now if I do not finish the install of the driver.

PLEASE HELP!!! This is a very bad situation to be in for a customer. Where is the instructions for Windows 7?? What should a customer do next??????

-Tony
adanecito

Postby peterc » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

Tony,

The instruction are valid for Windows 7 and this is infact what I am running. It will show a mass storage compliant driver. Since this driver is signed from Microsoft it can not be automatically replaced by a driver not signed by Microsoft. Thus the need for such a "manual installation procedure".

Do you not show such a driver?

Open device manager, plug in the drive and hit F5 to refresh the screen. What device driver are added?

We are happy to assist.
peterc

Postby trbodden » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 am

That is what happens Peter but the instructions do not say to insert the device. I am running win7 with an Asus board with the new Z68 chipset and it does not come up with what you say. It comes up with mass storage device only after inserting usbraid device.
trbodden

Postby peterc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Yes, it will only say "mass storage compliant driver" when I USB device is plugged in.

It appears that you still need to manually replace the drivers. The issue here is that we are replacing the signed, Mass Storage Compliant Driver, with a non-Microsoft driver (that is not signed).

Thus, Windows will not do this automatically and forces us to do this manually.

Simply open the driver and click on replace/find and on system.
This part we attempted to write correctly in the documentation and have had no other questions (not that this supports my point).

Please give it a try and let me know how we can improve the instructions.

For faster service, you may want to send an email to support@supertalent.com

PLease post back so that others with the same question can benefit.

Thanks.
peterc

Postby peterc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Yes, with the drive inserted. Give it another go. I think you will find the instructions less scary.
There is nothing destructive that can happen here. Rest assured. It seems like rocket science but it is not.
peterc

Postby trbodden » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Peter, does the usbraid attach itself to one particular port? I have four ports but it will not respond in all of them.

Also, I have inserted an 18"' cable (supposedly usb 3.0) and the blue led keeps blinking. Is there more information regarding the led's? Orange I assume to be 2.0 and blue 3.0 but what are the blinking actions signifying?

Tom
trbodden

Postby peterc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 am

Red is for USB2.0
Blue is for USB 3.0
but you can not use an extention cable with this drive.
This drive is a very special drive. It is two SSD controllers, two 64MB flash chips, 16 flash chips and a bridge and drawing power.
The bridge chip is mode switching. When it sees the 4 USB 2.0 pins it down shifts to a lower power mode, signified by the RED light.
When it sees all nine pins, it switches to a higher power mode. Addiding a cable with two connectors adds a little bit of resistance and the drive does not get enough power.

That said, most MB designs have USB ports in the back with more power than port routed up to the front of the case.
peterc

Postby padbury » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I agree that the instructions are NOT adequate.
I eventually figured it out, but not by following the hopelessly inadequate instructions in the support pdf.
I run Windows 7 64 bit. The install wizard did not pop up happily with the new driver to simply click to select. I had to hunt for where the drivers were put and point windows at the driver inf file myself.
The 3 drivers files are placed:
C:\Program Files\SUPERTAL\SuperTalent Fast USB\STT_stor.inf
C:\Program Files\SUPERTAL\SuperTalent Fast USB\STT_bus.inf
C:\Program Files\SUPERTAL\SuperTalent Fast USB\STT_usmc.inf
Don't know which inf file Windows wanted, but it eventually accepted one or more of them.
Also in system manager the new driver file details looks like this:
STT USB 3.0 RAIDDrive (WDM)
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_cr.sys
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_umsc.sys
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_wh.sys
Provider; MCCI Corporation
File version;V5.18 built by WinDDK

Plus this as well:
STT USB Composite Device
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_bus.sys
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_wh.sys
Driver files c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\STT_whnt.sys
Provider; MCCI
File version;V5.18 built by WinDDK

It all works fine now but the installation "help" in the support pdf is written too narrow and not actually more than a point in the right direction with the rest up to the user.
padbury

Postby peterc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

padbury,
We are always looking to improve and if our instructions are not adequate can you recommend how we might change them.
I would be happy to pass that along and get this changed.

Thanks for your help.
Peter
peterc

Postby padbury » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 am

peterc wrote:padbury,
We are always looking to improve and if our instructions are not adequate can you recommend how we might change them.
I would be happy to pass that along and get this changed.

Thanks for your help.
Peter

Naaa, that's up to SuperTalent, to properly support their product..

All I'll say is don't dismiss the importance of good help documentation and trial your help documentation on a range of systems.
padbury

Next

Return to RAIDDrive USB 3.0