www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

SSD works intermittently

CoreStore MP - Desktop, MV-Notebook/Embedded/Netbook

SSD works intermittently

Postby 9ash » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 am

Hi,

I just got a 16Gb CoreStore MV (SR16C6MME) and I'm having problems with it, I wonder if it is a compatibility issue or a broken card. I am using the card with a Dell Studio 1537 and it is detected on boot, saying Handshaking OK. However, when I press Ctrl-M it normally hangs. I've gotten into the setup about 3 times and additionally, when I do, it tells me that there is a error on one of the blocks (I can't remember the exact wording and I can't get in to double check!), is this normal for a new device?

When I try to install with Windows, the device is detected and the unknown devices appear in the Device Manager. When I try to install the drivers though, the installation hangs and then times out. Afterwards, the Marvell Flash Controller driver is installed, but the other two devices show up as being unable to install drivers due to a timeout. Perhaps this is the same issue as the bios, where it might work intermittently, but every time I tried it, it didn't. I haven't been able to try very many times - restarting Windows with the drivers half installed causes it to hang on startup, trying to uninstall them with the device inserted also hangs indefinitely.

Sound like a faulty board or a compatibility issue?

Thanks,

Ash
9ash

Postby SSD-James » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am

Did you follow the instructions?
Does Dell Studio 1537 support PCIe booting?
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10825
SSD-James

Postby 9ash » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Yes, these are the instructions I followed, the board is recognised but doesn't respond at some level (most of the time it seems, anyway).

I don't know if the Studio supports PCIe booting, but I'm only trying to use it as a data drive.

Thanks.
9ash

Postby SSD-James » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 am

CoreStore drive is very fast booting SSD and it is designed for Intel single board computer solution from the beginning.
I actually checked your PC yesterday before I send you an answer.
It does not look like brand new PC so it may not be the range.
Thanks,
James
SSD-James

Postby 9ash » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Good news - sort of. I put the card into another machine (32 bit windows) and it works, so the card is ok. I put the card back into my laptop and tried with Linux. The mvumi source posted in the sticky thread causes a "BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000000050005" and reboot.

Happily, by using the latest mvumi.c, mvumi.h from kernel.org and your posted Makefile, I have got the drive working under Linux (64 bit).

As my Studio is running Windows 7 64 bit, perhaps there is a bug in the 64-bit Windows driver? I tried looking for a more up to date version from Marvell but I couldn't see anything, although I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for....
9ash

Postby SSD-James » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 am

That is good news for the verification.
Hope you can finish it with your notebook.
Thanks,
James
SSD-James

Return to CoreStore MV/MP