www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

CoreStore MV 32 or 64 on Dell XPS 15 (L502x)

CoreStore MP - Desktop, MV-Notebook/Embedded/Netbook

CoreStore MV 32 or 64 on Dell XPS 15 (L502x)

Postby oemspain » Sat May 14, 2011 6:37 am

Are the Mini PCIe SSD CoreStore MV compatible with the mini PCIe slot (full size) on Dell XPS 15 (L502x) laptop?.
oemspain

Postby SSD-James » Mon May 16, 2011 7:36 am

It should be compatible. (formfactor)
But, the signal routing and BIOS supporting is the question.
You'd better check with DELL to see if the BIOS can support the mini PCIe booting.
SSD-James

Postby oemspain » Tue May 17, 2011 6:14 am

Ok, I've seen that Dell is working on supporting the disk in bios. i'll wait until the next release of the bios (A06).
oemspain

Postby SSD-James » Tue May 17, 2011 7:51 am

Thanks for your patience and please let us know when you get the new BIOS from Dell.
It will be greatly appreciated.
SSD-James

Postby BioTurboNick » Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 pm

I didn't see this before purchasing--it was a bit of an experiment. Windows does see the device despite not having BIOS support, however when I try to install the driver, I get a BSOD "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" in the driver .sys file. I assume this has to do with the lack of BIOS support? Though I would have thought it wouldn't even have showed up if the BIOS didn't support it...

EDIT: And that said, the firmware updater won't work in 64-bit Windows.
BioTurboNick

Postby BioTurboNick » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:52 am

Though now I see that a previous poster (eddie) was able to get the drive working in Windows just fine... could the particular drive I have be bad?
BioTurboNick

Postby BioTurboNick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:36 am

Update: For some reason I thought the firmware updater was supposed to make the DOS boot USB drive for me. Apparently that's wrong. However, I can't for the life of me get a DOS boot USB drive working, so I can't even try to update the firmware.
------------
Finally got a working usb boot drive. Firmware was already up to date though, so I'm at a loss.
BioTurboNick

Postby SSD-James » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm

To make the bootable USB drive, please refer to the following site:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=10867
Especially, FW2142_Updater.zip

Please let me know of its detection at CoreStore FW updater with it.

Let me know of your PC spec. model name or so.
SSD-James

Postby BioTurboNick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I ended up using the Ultimate Boot CD's USB boot utility--for some reason all the other methods I tried didn't work, but this one did.

It says the firmware installed was the latest--v2037. Flashed it anyway, but no change.

I have a Dell XPS 15 (L502x) with the A05 BIOS. I'd wait for the A06, but it sounds like others have gotten it working as a data drive, and I haven't even gotten that. Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I don't know if this helps, but when I first install it, Windows sees 4 devices: PCI Device, PCI Memory Controller, AHCI Controller, and SD Host Controller. Windows installs a standard AHCI controller driver for that device, and then the other three it of course doesn't really recognize. I'm usually able to install the "Marvell Flash Controller" for the PCI Device and PCI Memory Controller, but when I try to install it for what it sees as an SD Host Controller, I get the "Page Fault in Non Paged Area" blue screen of death.

Also slightly odd, when I manage to install the first two, both of them are shown in Device Manager as "Marvell Flash Controller" when based on the instructions I would expect them to be "Marvell Flash AHCI", "Marvell Flash Controller Console", or "Marvell Flash NVMHCI". And when I've installed these two drivers but not the other one, Windows will fail to boot up while the drive is installed--no error, just hangs on the pre-login boot screen.
BioTurboNick

Postby SSD-James » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:00 am

It looks like some of important area of NAND went bad or does not cover the ECC.
Please RMA it.
SSD-James

Next

Return to CoreStore MV/MP