www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

CoreStore MV 64GB with Dell Latitude E6520

CoreStore MP - Desktop, MV-Notebook/Embedded/Netbook

CoreStore MV 64GB with Dell Latitude E6520

Postby erblest » Wed May 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi,

I just installed a CoreStore MV 64GB card in my new Dell Latitude E6520. When I boot the computer, I get the Marvell BIOS screen. It says the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marvell Flash Controller - BIOS Version 2.0.0.18
Handshaking [OK]
Flash Controller
Firmware Version 2.1.1.2037
Turbo Standby supported
Turbo Hibernation supported

Press <Ctrl>+<M> to enter BIOS Setup or <Space> to continue
------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, when I press Ctrl-M, it doesn't let me enter the BIOS. The computer just reboots.
If let the computer just try to boot, it displays a flashing cursor in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen, and hangs.
If I hit F12 and try to boot from a USB flash drive, I get the same cursor.
I also tried setting the internal SATA controller (not sure if it makes a difference, since it is a different controller than the CoreStore MV) to RAID, AHCI, ATA, and Disabled. Every time, I wind up with the same thing - the flashing cursor, and nothing else. I also tried booting from the USB in every combination of the SATA controller setting, including disabled. Nothing. I am positive the USB drive does boot, as I tested it successfully in another computer.

I looked at latest firmware files (from the first sticky post) and they say 2037, which leads me to believe I already have the latest firmware installed. Would someone please confirm this? Regardless, since my computer won't let me boot from a USB drive anyway, I'm not sure how I would update the firmware if I do have an older version.

Is there anything else I should try? Is my computer incompatible? If I can't get it to work, I need to return it soon.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
erblest

Postby erblest » Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 pm

After trying many things, I'm now able to press Ctrl-M and successfully open the SSD's BIOS. On the very first page, it says "Functional" which implies the SSD thinks everything is okay. (As a tangent, it also says the PCIe slot is 5Gbps, implying that the slot is in fact PCIe Gen 2.)

I've also got it to start booting Windows a tiny little bit; If I try to boot into Windows 7 proper, the screen says "Starting Windows" then the OS hangs, and I have to hard-power-off the system to reset it.

If I try booting into Windows repair mode, the progress bar reaches the end two times (the second, IIRC, says "Loading Windows) before the OS hangs, and I have to hard-power-off the system to reset it.

I tried loading a version of Linux on a USB flash drive, and the drive's blue activity light flashes for a few second, but I then get the "blinking cursor of death" in the upper-left-hand corner of the screen.

Again, any help is much appreciated. If I can get this SSD to work, I will be a very happy customer.
erblest

Postby SSD-James » Thu May 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Well, you were trying to install Linux from your USB drive.
I'd better try it from DVD drive.
It is worth of doing it.
sometimes, USB does not work.
In that case, I try the IDE type DVD, SATA type DVD, USB type DVD.

Thanks,
James
SSD-James

Postby erblest » Thu May 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply. I just tried the CoreStore MV in my Latitude D830, and once again I received the blinking cursor when I tried to boot.

I will go ahead and re-install the CoreStore MV in my Latitude E6520, and try booting from a bootable CD/DVD.
erblest

Postby erblest » Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 pm

I tried booting from two different bootable CDs: a Windows 7 repair disk, and a bootable Linux CD. Neither worked. I got the same blinking cursor as before.

I'm positive both of the bootable CDs work, because once I remove the CoreStore MV, the computer boots right up with either one of them.

I'm beginning to think either the CoreStore MV is defective, or perhaps the firmware is incompatible with my computer, or my computer is incompatible with the firmware.

I don't know what else to try.
erblest

Postby eddie151 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 am

we seem to be having the same problem.although you have gotten slightly further than me in solving it.i have spoken to dell and they inform me that it is a bios problem,you cant boot from a pcie in dell bios. they also aform me they are looking into now and may release a moddified bios to allow it.

you got any further yet?
eddie151

Postby SSD-James » Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 am

Yeah, it looks like it.
I post a reply to your topic.
Let's see what we can do together.
I will also check MARVELL for this kind of case.
Let's see what they would like to say.
SSD-James

Postby TimSmall » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Dell's response seems a bit dubious to me, as there's not really any difference between booting from a mini-PCI express card, and a full-size PCI express card (or a PCI express type "ExpressCard" for that matter).

In an attempt to try and debug this one a bit further, I've ordered a PCI express to mini-PCI express converter card, and when it arrives I have a few different Dell Optiplex desktops which I will be able to test the CoreStore MV in.

Meanwhile, as I stated in the other thread, Dell laptops which don't use Dell's in-house BIOS, but instead use a Phoenix BIOS appear to work OK with the CoreStore MV.

I don't have one, but it might be a good idea to try a mini-PCI express card which includes a SATA host controller e.g.

http://www.commell.com.tw/product/Perip ... X-3132.HTM

- this may help by establishing whether all option roms fail, or whether the problem is specific to the Marvell BIOS.

Thanks,

Tim.
TimSmall

Postby erblest » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:03 pm

With their recent A12 BIOS, the Dell Latitude E6520 now supports the CoreStore MV, at least as a data drive. It's recognized just fine once inside of Windows 7 and after installing the appropriate device drivers (http://www.supertalent.com/support/down ... er_1.0.zip).

My question is: I tried installing Windows 7 to the drive. During setup, I specified a location for the x64 drivers and was told that Windows 7 could not use them because they are not signed. Is there any way to get signed x64 drivers?

Thanks in advance.
erblest

Postby SSD-James » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Let's try with this driver.
amd64.zip
(131.73 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
SSD-James

Next

Return to CoreStore MV/MP