www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

Firmware Update

Everything MasterDrive SX Related

Re: Firmware Update

Postby Kami » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:21 am

I just want to let you all know that the firmware update worked fine (changed from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS).

If anyone has problem creating a bootable USB drive, check How to make a bootable usb drive.
Kami

Postby weissbrot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:26 am

@mbr - i don't know what the problem is. i also have a P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 my bios Version is 14a maybe you should update your board first.
in the menu "integrated peripherals" see here
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bio ... eripherals
you should set the first 2 options to disabled! and connect the drive to SATA Port 0 -> the very first!

i hope this helps...
weissbrot

Postby mbr » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am

@weissbrot
BIOS Version is 14, board revision 1.1 - same SATA port and BIOS setting, but the drive will not be recognised. I also tried the same procedure on my REVO with the same result.

Which SSD do you own? Mine is labeled with "SA28GM25S" and GUID formatted (Apple).

#mbr
mbr

Postby reelmccoy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Somewhat convinced Samsung tested their updater in a vacuum. Granted, the number of motherboards out there is daunting but I've tried this updater on a P35, X48 and nForce4 based motherboard and the updater, no matter what I do, will not detect my drives. The BIOS sees them just fine regardless of mode. I even bought a Silicon Image based 2 port 1x PCI-e card, slapped the IDE firmware on it and still no dice. The updater just won't see the drives.

We're not alone either as this very problem is mentioned on forums of competitors that made use of Samsung controllers. Samsung needs to fix this. Or at least give us the tools to understand what it's seeing vs what it's looking for for what it's using to identify the drives.

(Edited to add "not" (in bold))
reelmccoy

Postby weissbrot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:51 am

@mbr try to set SATA Port0-3 Native Mode to: [Enabled]
samsung now published a new updater in Version 2.1
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... iness.html

is there any chance ST ist updating to 2.1 too?
weissbrot

Postby mbr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Nice find @weissbrot, the Samsung firmware updater 2.1 is working on my hardware setup (even in AHCI and native mode on SATA port 3).

I also used the firmware files supplied by Samsung. They seem to be identical to the files ST put on there homepage.

Happy flashing,
mbr

BTW: what's the difference between the firmware VBM19C1Q and VBM1901Q? Samsung wrote in there PDF:

2. Firmware Version
- Old version : VBM18C1Q or VBM1801Q (Before Update)
- New version : VBM19C1Q or VBM1901Q (After Update)
mbr

Postby weissbrot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 am

VBM19C1Q supports Trim (with Win7 and MSAHCI Driver) AND Garbage Collection when installed in Raid Config or other OS that does not support Trim!
VBM1901Q only supports Garbage Collection after cold boot and when system is idle

so better it's better to flash VBM19C1Q - may be the reason why all other Vendors except Samsung deliver their Updater with this FW Version ;)

glad it worked for you mbr!!!!
weissbrot

Postby reelmccoy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Tried updating with an Intel quad core Lenovo (probably Intel chipset based). Not much in the way of BIOS options but the IDE port was as legacy IDE as I could get it. Still no dice. They seriously need to add some sort of debug mode to this updater.
reelmccoy

Postby reelmccoy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Welp. The 2.1 updater from Samsung worked far better however here I thought it'd give a choice as to which flavor to install. So it updated my 1801Q to 1901Q vs 19C1Q. Attempting to run the updater again after deleting the 1901C files won't get you far as it detects that the drive has already been updated to 1901Q. Bummer!

Although probably just as well as the system I was going to put these in may not support AHCI anyway.

I'd welcome the ability to switch though.
reelmccoy

Postby mvalpreda » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm sure it says to backup the drive first....but those that have updated their firmware....did you lose any data?
mvalpreda

PreviousNext

Return to MasterDrive SX