www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

Flash Tool from V1711 to V1571 (revised 9/4)

All firmware upgrade issues should go here

Re: Flash Tool from V1711 to V1571 (revised 9/4)

Postby PTK » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 am

zaskar wrote:Im getting ERROR: DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE is not supported on this platform
WinXP/SP3 newest Software updates
SDD: FTM64GX25H -DEBX- (as you can see in the Picture)
Mainboard: Asus Mainboard P5K-VM/VP-G33
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.66GHz
yes, i take the downgrade tool FTM64GX25H_TH.exe

I now spend 10 hours to get this SDD run and always a new error... ?

Or maybe read the instuctions bit better ;)

With DEBX you are supposed to get the FTM64GX25H.rar, not the _TH part.

Updated version of 1711 will be posted sooner, but if you want to flash from V1711 to v1571 during the time, please follow the instruction below and select the matched tool.

These tools only work for these S/N with-BIX, CIX, DIX, DAX, DBX, EBX,
For these customers who has TxX in the SSD S/N, please use the firmware with "TH".

As you can see, the FTM64GX25H.rar is for all BIX,CIX,DIX,DAX,DBX and EBX S/N's. Your "DEBX" would fall in the EBX category. That _TH part is only for S/N that has TxX ( small x meaning any mark i assume ).

Just got 4 or those 64GB models on my desk ( yet only 2 of em are mine ). Checked all the S/N's and every one of them fits in the long list of drives. Going to run those 2 in RAID 0 so hoping to see a working trim with raid drives very soon... with the 1711 firmware fix. If disabled trim in win 7 is all thats causing the problems, i can live without that for now and not start checking the firmwares of those drives.
PTK

Postby STT-MJ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

I tested all the tools b4 posted it. No matter xxxx or non-xxxx. I don't think it is the point of the problem.
STT-MJ

Postby rwambacher » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:50 am

mscsnoopy wrote:
sal wrote:Yeah, i know and started it at least two times... and it didn't work.

That's why i build a BartPE Live CD from XP SP2 Corp. Edition and it didn't work too.

What puzzles me is, that i have XXXX in the sn and tool for the XXXX version won't work, but the normal one does, well at least it gets one step further...

exactely the same problem here. Any solution? Would be nice if a memer of ST could say at least ANYTHING about this problem. Don't let us die like dumbs...

Same situation here to me! (Firmware downgrade to 1571 for XXXX s/n does not recognize the drive as known, the other one FTM28GX25H leads to a MICROCODE_DOWNLOAD error)
Is there any idea what to try?
rwambacher

Postby STT-MJ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 am

Better to wait for the new firmware.

we will release another firmware soon.
STT-MJ

Postby sbattosai » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi, here is a useful message posted by someone from Oxx:
I would like an official statement from ST about that, because right now we (owners of ST drive with FW 1711) are left in the darkness...
Thanks

"Gentlemen, I will tell you why you have to downgrade to 1571 with a full destructive to data FW flash if you were using 1711.

When Indilinx released 1275 they changed the base code in the FW to allow updates with no data loss, they did this so a simple dos file can be used to flash new code leaving the end users data intact and the flash was much safer....It leaves a section of FW code untouched and updates the rest, 1370 carried on this trend as did 1571. Now enter 1711...there was a bug within this FW that instead of replacing some of the FW it wrote the extra code to an alternative position....what happened next was data corruption.

On the Oxx forum we pulled the beta files as soon as we found the issue...we then asked for an official downgrader to be built. After testing we found an alternative to a new file having to be built...this was FW1.10 full flash (with jumper) followed by an update to 1.30...this has worked 100% of the time.
I have tested flashing new files on top of 1711 and seen issues, I have had beta testers test macs and they had serious issues...so you have to fully wipe 1711 off the drive and push a fresh flash to it.
Now if ST have got a downgrader that does this, then you have no worries, i have not got such a file and we decided for Oxx drives the method I came up with using 1.10 would be the way we would go. Its not ideal, specially for Linux and OSX users but it is foolproof...Oxx are also offering a backflash service for those unable to flash the drives.

Once you get back to 1571 you can forward update to the new files just fine...its just 1711 that caused a ton of issues. Hence it was pulled and really anyone still using the file is risking data loss. So if you see people passing 1.40 or 1.41 or 1.42beta around...tell them they are silly to do so

Now remember I do not know what files ST have, they may have a downgrader that works...i just know what Oxx have and why you have to flash away from 1711."
sbattosai

Postby PTK » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 am

I have two 1711 firmware 64GB ST drives in RAID 0 and have used them extensively for few weeks ( talking about 6-8h+/day ) as primary OS drive. With RAID 0 even smallest error would pop up more easily as the data is spread out on both drives.

After Windows 7 install i did disable the trim function and had 0 issues with corrupted data and 0 other errors. IMO there really isnt a reason to flash back to older firmwares while waiting for the fix to trim problems. But i can understand if you opt to go that way. Flashing anything ( mothboard etc ) is allways a small risk so dont see the point in taking one untill the fixed version is ready.

Now if ST have got a downgrader that does this, then you have no worries

And in the first page of this thread you can find this tool. Sure it might not be 100% full proof, so those ppl are mad for a reason.

Cant see how the 1711 firmware ppl are "left in the dark". You can either keep using the 1711 ( but with win7 disable trim ) like me or flash the old firmware back with the given tools and instructions based on your SSD's serial number.

Hopefully Indilinx can get the working ( properly tested version :oops: ) firmware out soon so we can enable trim and get back some of the lost performance while waiting for the new firmware.
PTK

Postby sascha h-k » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:28 am

could it be, that the poster sbattosai is an apple user and with 1711 mac's have a massive sleep/wakup problem ?! ;)
sascha h-k

Postby sbattosai » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 am

sascha h-k wrote:could it be, that the poster sbattosai is an apple user and with 1711 mac's have a massive sleep/wakup problem ?! ;)

Apple user me? No you are very wrong, every piece of equipment, with a fruit on it, is tabooed for me :mrgreen:
No I have Win 7 with Trim disabled and I haven't got any problem so far if we exclude the speed problem. But the guy who post that knows what he is talking about and if he said that on the long run it's bad, then I would tend to believe him, he also said that you cannot flash on top of 1711 because of the faulty FW structure... I just want to know if ST recommends evryone to go back to FW 1571 and if the downgrader is 100% safe...
sbattosai

Postby sascha h-k » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 am

sbattosai wrote:Apple user me? No you are very wrong, every piece of equipment, with a fruit on it, is tabooed for me :mrgreen:
No I have Win 7 with Trim disabled and I haven't got any problem so far if we exclude the speed problem. But the guy who post that knows what he is talking about and if he said that on the long run it's bad, then I would tend to believe him, he also said that you cannot flash on top of 1711 because of the faulty FW structure... I just want to know if ST recommends evryone to go back to FW 1571 and if the downgrader is 100% safe...

sorry, but for this reason i asked stt several times to make a mac/win parted forum, but nothing ... :cry:
o.z noticed fast, that 2 separate ssd forum-parts are very usefull.

beside this i have also win7 (2nd partition on ssd's) on my mac's .. ;)
sascha h-k

Postby d1m0n » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:02 pm

hi,

i just did try to downgrade. i did everything like the instruction say. but on step 6 i get the errormessage: DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE: not supported on this platform.

I have a FTM64GX25H SSD with ...DIX... in the serial number

what am i doing wrong?
d1m0n

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware