www.supertalent.com The Official Super Talent Support Forum

Login
FAQ MembersRegister

ULTRA Drive GX/GX2 FW-1916W is available now.

All firmware upgrade issues should go here

Postby nihilist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Yeah, i had a big problem.... yesterday, if i was copying some data, sytem doesn't respond, i got a bluescreen...and after that my system doesn't recognize my ssd. I tested everything, but no go. Switched the little dip-switch and my system recognized a barefoot yaptadong thing, but no flash was possible, not with older 1916 firmware and not with the new 1916w, it said that there was no compatible drive.
But in some forum i read about using downgrade tool to flash to older 15xx fw. I did so and now i was able to flash, later i took 1916w fw and it runs fine and i don't have to rma the drive (64GB gx). Was that the problem you described with wear leveling, data loss and bluescreen? Has it gone away with new 1916w fw?
thanks
nihilist

Postby tistou77 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:32 pm

it's good, I flashed to 1916W :D

the number changed, at STT_FTM64GX25H to STT_FTM64G225H

and what's the changelog for this firmware? it is better than 1916?

thank you ;)
tistou77

Postby eAndy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:04 am

tistou77 wrote:and what's the changelog for this firmware? it is better than 1916?
)

Read first post:
Why you need to upgrade: To change the old wear leveling schemes. By using old FW, it may cause NAND blocks worn out and lose your data. Sometimes, it may cause a blue screen or detection issue.

Its a necessity wenn you want to keept your ssd...
eAndy

Postby Friedel99 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:23 am

Hi there

I bought this SSD on 25th of April this year with the original firmware 1916. So I didn't have to upgrade the firmware.
Now I saw there is a new one available. In the howto is written, with the original firmaware 1916 there is no need for an upgrade. Is this true?
What me really confuses is the reason to install the OS and all the applications again. I can understand the loss of data when upgrading, but installing all again.
Questions:
Should I upgrade the firmware (original 1916) to 1916W?
Does somebody backup an image of the SDD drive (OS and Apps) and restore it again afterwards?
Is this adviseable?

PS: Which application shows me the maximum speed of the SSD?
Friedel99

Postby locsandro » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi I have two SSD FTM64GX25H. I went to perform the firmware update for the 1916W and an error occurred. Now the drive is not recognized by Windows and not the computer's bios. I tried to perform the update for windows xp x64 in IDE mode. P6DT Deluxe Asus motherboard, 930 i7, x58 chipset. I would like to help solve the problem. Thank you.
Alessandro Gomes.
locsandro

Postby eAndy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Friedel99 wrote:Questions:
Should I upgrade the firmware (original 1916) to 1916W?
Does somebody backup an image of the SDD drive (OS and Apps) and restore it again afterwards?
Is this adviseable?

PS: Which application shows me the maximum speed of the SSD?

Yes, upgrade is definately advisable! Otherwise there is a chance to break your SSD. Use TrueImage to backup you entire drive. It's easy and works fine...
eAndy

Postby Space » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:38 am

Hi,

are there any news about a non-GC firmware?

Best regards,

Space
Space

Postby Friedel99 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 am

Ok, I did the firmware upgrade to my STT_FTM64GX25H (GX2 64GB).
1. Made in image backup from SSD with Win7 with Acronis TrueImage.
Made also a recovery USB stick.
2. Put SSD in my old WinXP PC.
3. Deleted my Volumes on the SSD.
4. Started the flashing tool, but did not find my SSD (no valid SSD found). :evil:
Can not switch SATA on that PC to IDE mode. :o
5. Tried to downgrade to 1571, but does not let me (same error as before).
7. Put OS HD with WinXP and SSD back in my new PC and booted WinXP (SATA in IDE mode).
8. WinXP is running, can flash the SSD. Done.
9. Booted the PC with SSD from USB stick to recover. Done.
10. Win7 is running again with new flashed SSD. :)
In Win7, I can only see the firmware version 1916W in Computer Mangagement, when
I boot Win7 in IDE mode. Switched back to AHCI mode, the the firmware is shown as 1916.

It took me 2 hours, but finally got it to work again.
Hope this will help you too.
Friedel99

Postby cyclometh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:19 am

eAndy wrote:
tistou77 wrote:
eAndy wrote:But I found a way by copying the FW as .exe file on an bootable USB-Stick with Windows 7 Rescue/Repair installation. After booting from the USB-Stick I erased the existing partition on the SSD with a prog "sanityerase" and flashed the new FW over the command prompt. Worked all fine... :D

bye
eandy

Hi

can you tell me what file (. exe) used exactly?

I try with a bootable USB drive with different file but it not work ...
even through the command prompt with DVD installs of Windows 7

thank you ;)

PS: sorry for my english

Under Windows 7:
- Go to the "WashFW" Folder
- Run WSSDChecker.exe with admin rights on the computer with the SSD
- Select the SSD drive in the command prompt window
- after that go to the updater.bat in the same folder and click right mouse button and select edit
- note the number of the .exe file (in my case 081102.exe for the FTM28GX25H)
- go to the "Channel" folder
- Copy the file from with the name from the updater.bat to your win7 boot-stick

- Boot the computer from the usb-stick (select this drive in the boot-options of your bios)
- go to the command-prompt and switch to the usb-drive
- delete all partitions on the ssd (i.e. with the command "diskpart")
- tipe "XXXXXX.exe" at the command prompt (in my case 081102.exe)
- flash and reboot

hope it helps...

Windows 7 x64 users with no access to secondary Windows installation can鈥檛 use this method, since the firmware installer is 32-bit and Windows 7 x64 recovery environment doesn鈥檛 support 32-bit programs. However, Microsoft provides WAIK (The Windows庐 Automated Installation Kit) for free. It comes with 32-bit Windows PE (Preinstallation Environment) among other things. Instructions for making a bootable USB stick can be found in its help files.

I upgraded the firmware successfully with Windows PE.

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en
cyclometh

Postby jcrudbe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Has anyone noticed an even newer firmware update, as of 3 days ago, under the download section? It is UltraDrive Firmware Update version 2030 (GX/GX2 Products Only) and is a bootable ISO so it is much easier to install than 1916W (I don't have access to a second computer to update from Windows).

I used Acronis to clone the drives, split up the RAID, flashed from 1916 to 2030 for each with the bootable CD, rebuilt the raid and reimaged with Acronis. No problems at all - smooth process! Benchmarks are virtually the same with ATTO as before.

Of course, there is no info available for 2030 (change log)... so if anyone knows anything, that'd be great!
jcrudbe

PreviousNext

Return to Firmware